Paxton, Florida is a small town located in the northeastern corner of the state. With a population of just over 2,000 people, it is considered to be a rural community. Geographically, Paxton is located on the edge of a large lake, which provides plenty of recreational opportunities for locals and visitors alike. The climate in Paxton is mild and pleasant with temperatures rarely getting too hot or too cold throughout the year. Check whicheverhealth for information about Anna Maria, Florida.
The history of Paxton dates back to the early 1800s when it was founded by settlers from nearby Georgia. Since then, it has remained largely unchanged with its quaint small-town charm still intact today. Politically, Paxton is part of Walton County and its residents tend to lean conservatively when it comes to voting patterns.
The economy in Paxton revolves mostly around agriculture and tourism due to its location near the lake and other natural attractions. There are several schools in town including an elementary school, middle school, high school and a local college that offers associate degrees in various fields. As for landmarks, there’s not much to mention except for the historic courthouse that was built in 1873 which still stands today as a reminder of Paxton’s past. Overall, it’s an idyllic community that offers its residents plenty of peace and tranquility away from the hustle and bustle of big cities like Miami or Tampa Bay.
Population: 656. Estimated population in July 2020: 772 (+17.7% change)
Males: 307 (46.8%), Females: 349 (53.2%)
Median resident age: 39.4 years
Median household income: $24,625
Median house value: $43,800
Races in Paxton:
- White Non-Hispanic (93.9%)
- American Indian (3.5%)
- Black (1.7%)
- Hispanic (1.7%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
Ancestries: United States (29.7%), Irish (13.4%), English (9.9%), Scotch-Irish (2.3%), Scottish (2.3%), German (1.8%).
Elevation: 314 feet
Land area: 3.9 square miles
Paxton, Florida is a small town located in the northwest region of Florida. The population of Paxton is estimated to be around 6,000 people. The majority of the population is Caucasian, making up approximately 75% of the population. The remaining 25% is made up of African American, Hispanic, and other ethnicities.
The median age in Paxton is 32 years old. This age range indicates that the town has a relatively young population which helps to create an energetic atmosphere in the community.
The median household income in Paxton is $41,500 which is below the national average and slightly lower than other towns within Florida. Despite this low income level, the cost of living in Paxton remains relatively low making it an affordable place to live for those who are on a tight budget.
Paxton has been home to many generations of families who have lived and worked there for decades and passed down their values from one generation to another. This strong sense of community pride can be seen throughout town as residents take great pride in their hometown and its history.
Paxton offers its residents many recreational activities including fishing, camping, hiking trails and many more outdoor activities for all ages to enjoy. There are also several shopping plazas located throughout town providing access to local businesses such as restaurants, retail shops and other services that help to make Paxton an attractive place for people looking for a small-town lifestyle with plenty of amenities nearby.
For population 25 years and over in Paxton
- High school or higher: 55.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.9%
- Unemployed: 4.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Paxton town
- Never married: 17.1%
- Now married: 56.7%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 9.6%
- Divorced: 15.6%
0.9% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +55 (+9.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Paxton:
- FLORALA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 5 miles; FLORALA, AL)
- HEALTHMARK REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 20 miles; DEFUNIAK SPRINGS, FL)
- MIZELL MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 22 miles; OPP, AL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Paxton:
- HURLBURT FIELD (about 47 miles; MARY ESTHER, FL; Abbreviation: HRT)
- DOTHAN RGNL (about 66 miles; DOTHAN, AL; Abbreviation: DHN)
- PANAMA CITY-BAY CO INTL (about 70 miles; PANAMA CITY, FL; Abbreviation: PFN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Paxton:
- FLORALA MUNI (about 4 miles; FLORALA, AL; Abbreviation: 0J4)
- BOB SIKES (about 21 miles; CRESTVIEW, FL; Abbreviation: CEW)
- DEFUNIAK SPRINGS (about 22 miles; DEFUNIAK SPRINGS, FL; Abbreviation: 54J)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Paxton:
- OKALOOSA-WALTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 35 miles; NICEVILLE, FL; Full-time enrollment: 3,374)
- TROY STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 63 miles; TROY, AL; Full-time enrollment: 9,143)
- GEORGE C WALLACE STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-DOTHAN (about 66 miles; DOTHAN, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,703)
- PENSACOLA JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 70 miles; PENSACOLA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 6,036)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF WEST FLORIDA (about 70 miles; PENSACOLA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 6,282)
- GULF COAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 73 miles; PANAMA CITY, FL; Full-time enrollment: 3,140)
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY-MONTGOMERY (about 87 miles; MONTGOMERY, AL; Full-time enrollment: 3,677)
Public primary/middle school in Paxton:
- PAXTON HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 667; Location: 21893 US HIGHWAY 331 NO; Grades: PK – 12)